Dear UDWDC® members,
One of our goals is to make it easier for more people to learn our dances and compete on the UCWDC circuit. To help meet that goal, we are proud to introduce our expanded newcomer divisions.
We now offer FOUR newcomer divisions in both ProAm and couples: Newcomer IV, III, II and I. Using our newly created Step by Step UCWDC Syllabus, new dancers can enter ProAm and Couples’ competition quickly and easily, moving up through the four newcomer levels as they learn new steps.
Here’s how the newcomer divisions and syllabus work together:
- The steps described for Newcomer IV are used to compete in Newcomer
- The steps described in Newcomer IV and III can be used in Newcomer
- The steps described in Newcomer IV, III and II can be used in Newcomer
- Newcomer I is what we have called “Newcomer” in ProAm and “Division IV” in
- Only the patterns/steps from Newcomer IV may be used in the Newcomer IV divisions.
- Only the patterns/steps from Newcomer IV and Newcomer III may be used in the Newcomer III divisions.
- Only the patterns/steps from Newcomer IV, Newcomer III and Newcomer II may be used in the Newcomer II divisions)
Competitors who danced in ProAm Newcomer or Couples Division IV previously:
- If you danced in ProAm Newcomer last year, you would compete in ProAm Newcomer I this year.
- If you danced in Couples Division IV last year, you would compete in Couples Newcomer I this year.
- If you were in ProAm Newcomer or Couples Division IV last year and do not have any wins that count toward graduation (3 or more in the division), you may choose to reclassify in Newcomer IV, III and/or II at your first competition of the 2023-24 dance season.
- When you dance in ProAm or Couples Newcomer I, you cannot move back to a lower level.
- If you already have ProAM or Couples Newcomer I routines, you can still use them! You’ll find that the Newcomer II syllabus includes some syncopations, so you may choose to add those steps to your competition routines, too.
If you have any questions about how these changes impact you, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t wait to see you on the dance floor!
Vice President of Rules
United Country Western Dance Council